Carbon Monoxide Testing Australia Leading The Way

dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning

Plumber Damian De Vincentis hopes to prevent poisoning with Carbon Monoxide Testing Australia

A SOUTH Morang plumber is on a mission to help Whittlesea and Diamond Valley residents eradicate a potentially “silent killer” in their homes.

Damian De Vincentis knows only too well the risks to people’s health from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mr De Vincentis established Carbon Monoxide Testing Australia three years ago following his experience with a faulty heater which was leaking carbon monoxide into the air at the property he was staying in with his now wife while on a working holiday in the UK.

“Day after day I would be constantly tired and have a severe headache,” Mr De Vincentis said.

“I would go to work feeling fine, arrive home and then become fatigued and struggle to do anything.

“Luckily for me, the law in the UK requires that any works to gas appliances require testing for carbon monoxide, so when we called in a plumber to fix the heater, he tested the air and told me, a few more days and we could have died in our sleep.”

Mr De Vincentis has joined the public campaign to prevent more carbon monoxide-related deaths through the Chase and Tyler Foundation, which was set up following the deaths of Victorian brothers Chase, 8, and Tyler, 6, who died from carbon monoxide poisoning from their unserviced gas heater in their rental home in 2010. The first week of May is now dedicated to Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week to raise awareness about carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide cannot be seen, felt, smelt or touched and hospitalises more than 364 people each year across Australia.

Mr De Vincentis said he was shocked to see the number of new and old heaters that were emitting dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. “It’s not just old heaters as any heating appliance has the potential to produce carbon monoxide,” he said.

“At the moment there is a lot of complacency out there when it comes to gas appliances.

“There are simple things that homeowners can do to reduce their risks this winter and carbon monoxide poisoning is something that can be prevented

“I can’t stand by and let more parents and children be hospitalised each year when carbon monoxide poisoning can be avoided.”

Anyone with concerns about gas appliances can phone Carbon Monoxide Testing Australia on 1300 599 529.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *