One Dead due to Suspected Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

One Dead In Suspected Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Churchill

One person has died and second has been taken to hospital because of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at home in Victoria’s Latrobe Valley.
Police are investigating the incident involving a man and woman in Churchill, near Morwell after a family member called them to the house.
They do not believe that the death was suspicious.
The man, who is aged is his 60s, was found dead at the scene and the woman, also in her 60s, was moved to hospital for observation.
Advertisement

She remained at the Latrobe Regional Hospital in a stable condition on Thursday night.
The pair were found inside the home in Graduation Place at about 3.40pm on Wednesday afternoon.
Police will prepare a report for the Coroner.
Carbon monoxide is a gas that can rise to lethal levels inside houses when possessions such as heaters and portable generators become faulty.
Cars left running in attached garages are another hazard.
Two Shepparton boys, eight-year-old Chase and six-year-old Tyler Robinson, died from carbon monoxide leaking from a gas heater at their rented home in 2010.

Please have your heaters checked by a qualified technician this winter by calling beOnd Plumbing on 1300 599 529.

 

PROFESSIONAL TIPS

Professional Tips To Prevent Poisoning With Carbon Monoxide Testing Australia

Inspect your heater for any damage before turning it on in winter and every month after that;

Check the appearance of radiant gas heaters when in operation;

Visually check the flames of your gas appliance. Pilot lights and main burners should produce blue flame;

If you smell a different or unusual odour, turn the appliance off immediately;

Never block air vents in rooms;

Never leave fuel-powered motors running in your garage;

Have your heating system, hot water service and any other gas or oil appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.

Have a carbon monoxide monitor installed in your home.

 

If you have any concerns of quires contact the Carbon Monoxide Testing Australia team on 1300 599 529.

dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon Monoxide Testing Australia Leading The Way

Plumber Damian De Vincentis hopes to prevent poisoning with Carbon Monoxide Testing Australia

A SOUTH Morang plumber is on a mission to help Whittlesea and Diamond Valley residents eradicate a potentially “silent killer” in their homes.

Damian De Vincentis knows only too well the risks to people’s health from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mr De Vincentis established Carbon Monoxide Testing Australia three years ago following his experience with a faulty heater which was leaking carbon monoxide into the air at the property he was staying in with his now wife while on a working holiday in the UK.

“Day after day I would be constantly tired and have a severe headache,” Mr De Vincentis said.

“I would go to work feeling fine, arrive home and then become fatigued and struggle to do anything.

“Luckily for me, the law in the UK requires that any works to gas appliances require testing for carbon monoxide, so when we called in a plumber to fix the heater, he tested the air and told me, a few more days and we could have died in our sleep.”

Mr De Vincentis has joined the public campaign to prevent more carbon monoxide-related deaths through the Chase and Tyler Foundation, which was set up following the deaths of Victorian brothers Chase, 8, and Tyler, 6, who died from carbon monoxide poisoning from their unserviced gas heater in their rental home in 2010. The first week of May is now dedicated to Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week to raise awareness about carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide cannot be seen, felt, smelt or touched and hospitalises more than 364 people each year across Australia.

Mr De Vincentis said he was shocked to see the number of new and old heaters that were emitting dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. “It’s not just old heaters as any heating appliance has the potential to produce carbon monoxide,” he said.

“At the moment there is a lot of complacency out there when it comes to gas appliances.

“There are simple things that homeowners can do to reduce their risks this winter and carbon monoxide poisoning is something that can be prevented

“I can’t stand by and let more parents and children be hospitalised each year when carbon monoxide poisoning can be avoided.”

Anyone with concerns about gas appliances can phone Carbon Monoxide Testing Australia on 1300 599 529.