FAQ’s And Answers About Carbon Monoxide Testing

FAQ’s And Answers About Carbon Monoxide Testing

Q: If it was really necessary wouldn’t there be legislation?
A: The Government has recognized carbon monoxide poisoning is an issue in
Australia and have passed laws for new houses and for rental properties. It is
estimated that it will become law in all Australia homes over the next few years,
just as is now is with smoke detectors.
Q: Do I need to worry if we clean our filters for the heaters?
A: Whilst keeping your filters clean is a great way to reduce your risk, there are
many other factors that need to be identified by professionals to ensure that you and
your family are protected and your ongoing health isn’t at risk.
Q: Can’t I just buy an analyzer from the hardware store?
A: Not all analyzers are the same. The industry bodies have standards that
analyzers have to be meet for use by professionals, and the analyzers you purchase
from hardware stores often don’t meet these standards.
The component that actually tests for CO2 is an electro chemical cell.
It wears out over time and the cell can fail. Non industry standard carbon monoxide
analysers can’t be recalibrated and have to be disposed of. Like any tool you also run
the risk on not analyzing it correctly. The instructions often are difficult to read
and hard to follow, putting your family at risk even more.
Q: Why can’t I just buy a monitor and install it myself?
A: Whilst carbon monoxide monitors are available at the hardware store, they can
fail in certain conditions. If exposed to heat and other environmental factors these
can malfunction leaving your family at risk.
That is why we only use and recommend Honeywell products. They are scientifically
developed and laboratory tested to guard you against the dangers of carbon
monoxide poisoning.
Q: My heater is only a year old, shouldn’t I be safe?
A: It would be great to think that things last but now days we all know that many
items are disposal. Your heater may have been damaged in several ways, at the
factory, in transit, at the store or at installation. When it comes to the health of your
family, you do not want to underestimate anything of such huge importance.
The Importance Of Servicing and Maintaining Your Heaters!

The Importance Of Servicing and Maintaining Your Heaters!

Truth is neglecting to service and maintain your heater can be a life or death situation.
Don’t be another statistic and ensure the safety of your family today.

As winter is soon approaching is it so important to remember to check that our heaters and fires are working correctly before we turn them back on for the cooler months ahead. Regardless of the type of heating system you use it is imperative that you check them before, after and even during the months in which they are regularly used. Our heaters can produce carbon monoxide, a very harmful poison which can lead to unconsciousness and even cause death.

There are ways of maintaining the upkeep of our heating systems on our own such as clearing them of dust and dirt and using your vacuum to eliminate any obstructions, however remember never to use any flammable liquid and to leave the filters and fans to fulled licensed professionals who will provide you with a certificate once it is satisfactory.

If you have a electic heating system you must have a fully qualified professional install it and maintaining it throughout its lifespan. Checking faulty wiring yourself can led to electrocution or even death, so please leave it to the professionals. This will also avoid the risk of electrical fires.

Signs that your heating system may not be functioning correctly

– Headaches
– Weakness
– Dizziness
– Shortness of breath
– Pain to the chest
– Sleepy
– Nauseous

If you are experiencing any of the following issues with your gas heater, turn it off immediately and call a professional (qualified gas fitter) and have it tested before putting it back on:
– the pilot light goes out unexpectedly, or ‘pops’ or ‘bangs’ when lighting
– Sparks coming from the plug or on off button
– there is a yellow or sooty flame (unless it is a decorative gas log fire)
– signs of heat damage such as discoloration of the walls or heater panels
– the walls become too hot to touch while the heater is on
– there are soot stains around the heater.

Lastly just remember that it is your family and loved ones lives at stake. If your heating system is old have it replaced and always have a qualified fitter install and maintain your services. When is doubt always turn the system off, open all doors and windows and call a call a professional.